Friday 29 August 2014

Swatches: All Six Color Tattoos from the Maybelline Limited Edition Spring 2014 Dare To Go Nude Collection

NOTE: If you're looking for the Dare To Go Nude Collection, click here to take a look at the interactive sightings map (and if you've found this collection in your area, I'd be grateful if you left a marker on the map so that other readers can find it too!).

I was able to find all six of the Color Tattoos in the Maybelline Limited Edition Spring 2014 Dare To Go Nude Collection (click here for pics of the entire collection) at Bed Bath & Beyond a few days ago, and I wanted to get the swatches up for you as quickly as possible.  I know that the seasonal Color Tattoos sometimes sell out the moment they hit the shelf, so let's get to it:

Maybelline Limited Edition Color Tattoos from the Spring 2014 Dare To Go Nude Collection
(retail: $5.79 each at Bed Bath & Beyond, 0.14 oz)

CONFIRMED (2/18/14): Maybelline confirmed to me directly today that all of the Color Tattoos in this collection ARE limited edition (even though they don't say "limited edition" on the labels).

Limited edition? Maybe, maybe not...

Until I hear from Maybelline, I don't know what to tell you other than, just today, reader Lauren left a comment on the sightings map post letting us know that the display at her Bed Bath & Beyond had recently been restocked. Now, I don't know if BBB stores get multiple shipments of certain limited edition collections or if that's a sign that these are new permanent shades, but either way that's good news. That said, I think that if there's anything here that you REALLY want, you might want to grab it when you see it. Just in case.


All swatches applied to bare skin using my fingers:

Left to Right:
 80 Pure Nude, 85 Beige-ing Beauty, 90 Nude Compliment, 95 Sleek & Spice, 100 Caramel Cool, 105 Stroke of Midnight

Here's a closer look:


I thought that Beige-ing Beauty was going to be the more opaque and pigmented of the two, but I was WRONG. Pure Nude is much more pigmented and opaque on the skin, while Beige-ing Beauty is quite sheer. Also, Beige-ing Beauty contains sparkle ({Pure Nude does not).Nude Compliment is the warmer of the two taupey-browns in this collection, and it's a winner. Smooth consistency and nice pigmentation.


Sleek & Spice is the cooler of the two taupey-browns, and it's also deeper than Nude Compliment. Just like Nude ComplimentSleek & Spice has a smooth consistency and excellent pigmentation. Caramel Cool is an orangey, coppery bronze shade that looks a little flat in my photos but it has some nice dimension in real life. Again, great consistency and pigmentation. Lastly we have Stroke of Midnight. This one surprised me because it's actually a matte black, but it has tons of iridescent glitter in it. Here's what the pan looks like after swiping the surface::

Stroke of Midnight, after I swiped the surface...

See all the iridescent glitter? Sadly, the matte base of this shade is very dry and it's a challenging color to apply to the lid. The moment you start to blend, it sheers out and becomes very patchy. I think this one would be best used as a base for powder eyeshadows or maybe as a liner for a smoky eye. I just couldn't get it to look decent on its own when I tried to wear it by itself.

I hope this post helps you figure out which shades might be worth the hunt. My personal favorites are Pure Nude, Nude Compliment, Sleek & Spice and Caramel Cool. But if I were pressed to pick just two, I would go with Nude Compliment and Sleek & Spice. Warm and cool taupey-browns are just so darned versatile--I can see many of you getting a lot of mileage out of both of these shades.

Don't forget to check the sightings map if you're looking for this collection in your area. In the meantime, what do you think of these shades? Any must-haves here?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment